April 28, 2014

Honey, I'm home!

I may have mentioned earlier that I work in a church office.  Lent/Easter is a very busy time of year.  Far more busy than Advent/Christmas.  I had to step away from writing to deal with the added work in the office plus a multitude of other work related happenings.  Let's just say if I were still drinking...Nah, I won't go there.  I did hold it together and in fact today I am 90 days sober!  I'm very happy to not be drinking.  I've become used to not drinking even when others are.  Still I keep it safe, secure and to myself. Only a few others know.  It's like my own special secret.

My husband asked if I had told his parents when we were visiting them a couple of weeks ago.  No, it didn't come up.  I was asked if I wanted a glass of wine.  No thank you!  There's beer in the fridge in the garage, help yourself.  No thanks!  He said, "Well, I didn't say anything to them."  (Me) "That's great, because it's not yours to tell!"  He asked if I told my mom.  Nope, hasn't come up.  Besides, I never drank much around her.  I know it would make her feel funny due to her father being such a big drinker most of his life.

We are planning a trip to California this fall with our drinky friends.  We had discussed this back when I was in the thick of it.  Mrs. Drinky asked me the other night at dinner if I was going to 'stop this' before the trip "'cuz you can't visit wine country and not drink!"  I can drink sparkling water and eat grapes can't I?  She just wants a drinking buddy with her.  The thing is she weighs all of 90 pounds and is ready for bed after a couple of glasses.  Me?  No, I'll take a bottle, make that two, drink them both.  Black out.  Wake next day to have my husband tell me I say really mean things to him when I drink.  Oh God, now what?!  Then start it all over again.  Nothankyouverymuch!  So I'm doing it.  I'm taking this vacation in September and I will not drink.  Moderation does not work for me.  (Hell, does it work for anyone?  There aren't many books written on it are there?)  By the way, while at dinner and sitting across the table from Mrs. Drinky, I could smell her glass of Pinot Noir.  It smelled kinda yucky. Like, why would I want to drink that?  Bleh!

Glad to be back here.  Really glad Easter is over!  Only seven months and we'll be in Advent.




No comments:

Post a Comment