February 14, 2014

Testing 1...2...3...

This weekend is my first real test.  Today is my 17th day sober.  My husband is out of town until Sunday with friends.  They are doing the whole drinking and eating too much and taking in a (#1!) college basketball game.

In my non-sober days I would have spent the weekend drinking. Upon leaving work I would have stocked up on beer and wine, come home and settled in for a drunk weekend.  The only thing that I had to be concerned with was getting rid of the empties.  Get the wine bottles to the recycling center...stuff the beer bottles in my car to drop at the donation box during my next car trip...restock the beer supply in the refrigerator so it will look like I didn't drink too, too much.

So what did I do tonight?  I came home.  I drank raspberry/lime seltzer (yum!)  I did a load of laundry, made myself dinner, watched "Bridesmaids" (sober this time!) chatted with my husband on the phone (didn't have to act NOT drunk) caught up with the sober blogs, and am now watching olympic figure skating.

I did think about drinking. About how refreshing a cold beer would taste.  About how warming a glass of red wine would be.  I believe I was looking to the habit, the routine I had created for myself for these alone time weekends. As I have changed my daily routines, so must I change my thinking about this time spent by myself.

Tomorrow I plan on doing some baking, making beef & barley mushroom soup, finishing some sewing projects, having a run, and staying sober ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment