February 27, 2014

Thirty


I did it!  I reached 30 days sober.  It wasn't easy but it also wasn't too hard.  I think it's working this time because I'm older (and wiser?), the timing was right, and most important...I WANTED to quit.  

While I was tossing the idea around to quit when I did or wait until later, I had to weigh my options.  What do I do when my daughter and her husband come home in March to visit?  I'll have to drink with them.  I've been saving that lovely bottle of red from their wedding reception to celebrate.  What about this summer?  How will I spend time on the lake with Mr. Stitches and our friends without drinking?  How will I grill out without a drink in my hand?  What about the trip we are planning to California in September?  Surely I can wait to quit after that.  There was always a reason to put it off, but there was a reason to quit now and not wait..Me. Myself, and I.  I'm glad I chose "us" instead of booze.

I'm sleeping better.  I'm not puffy and gross.  I've lost 4 pounds.  I feel great when I work out.  I'm less stressed and more focused.  Mr. Stitches and I are getting along.  I remember phone conversations after 6pm.  I'm not mean.  I, I, I, I, I...  Sound selfish?  Yes, but it's a good selfish.  I'm putting myself first for a change instead of putting booze first.  I've learned that I'm stronger than I thought I was.  I'm still fun.  I like the booze free me.  I hope to keep her as my new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment